Joy isn’t something that I would say really characterizes my life, so I wanted to start the week by digging into the Scriptures to see what they say about it. As I was reading through the passages that Andrew put together for us, I took note of what each one said would bring joy:
- The Gospel and Salvation (Luke 1:26-56, Luke 10:1-24, 1 Peter 1:3-9)
- Loving each other as Jesus loves us (John 15:1-17)
- Faithfulness and Stewardship (Matthew 25:14-30)
- Encountering God (Nehemiah 8:1-12)
- The coming of The Lord (Psalm 96, John 16:16-24)
- God’s glory and power (Psalm 47 & 66)
- Salvation (1 Peter 1:3-9, Luke 10:1-24)
Each day this week I’m going to read/meditate on the passages associated with one of these topics.
I started today with The Gospel and Salvation, and I can say that I have found joy in the midst of clogged sinks, water leaks, and little sleep.
In fact, much of my day was devoted to setting up for our baptism service tonight, and I’m not sure there was any better way to engage with the joy found in the Gospel and Christ’s saving work than celebrating with our baptism candidates.