UPDATE: Facebook has officially released Timeline. You can now activate it simply by visiting facebook.com/timeline and clicking "Get Timeline."
In case you haven't heard by now, Facebook is totally revamping its user profiles. The new profile will basically serve as a life-timeline, allowing you or anyone else to easily flip back through your life chronologically.
Previously, if you wanted to remember some experiences you had in May of 2009, you'd have to go look up your notes from that month, and then find the photo album you had created. I'm not sure how you would even locate your status updates. Now, you just navigate to that month and all of the top content can be found in one spot.
I am pretty excited about the changes. It may actually get me to use Facebook a bit more, something I rarely do now.
The new profiles aren't active just yet, but there's a way to change your profile over early. I've got the instructions below, and I've already switched mine, so you can check it out to see the new features, although some of them might be missing if we're not friends on Facebook.
How to Switch to New Facebook Timeline Profile Instructions
- Search for "Developer" and navigate to Developer page.
- Click "Create New App."
- Create an app. It doesn't matter what you call it.
- Once on your app's page, click "Open Graph" in the left-hand sidebar.
- Fill out the two form fields and click "Get Started." Again, it doesn't matter what you call them.
- When the next page loads, scroll to the bottom and click "Save Changes and Next." Do this again two more times.
- Navigate to your profile page.
- Click "Activate new Profile" or whatever that button at the top is.
What do you think of the new profile?