What is your ultimate concern? What sits on the throne of your life? What rules you?
Is it your work? Your spouse? Your children? Maybe it’s the pursuit of success, money, or a love of sports. Perhaps the most important thing to you is to be needed by others.
The problem is that none of those things will ultimately satisfy.
Convergence, a new video-based small group curriculum featuring discussions between best-selling author Donald Miller and other Christian thinkers, addresses just these sorts of profound yet incredibly practical questions.
As part of a blog tour for this series, I’ve been asked to review an episode entitled, “Frustration and False Gods,” featuring Dr. Tremper Longman, professor of Biblical studies, and Dr. Dan Allender, professor of counseling. In the video, Miller and Drs. Tremper and Longman examine the book of Ecclesiastes and ask us to consider just what are those things we center our lives around.
- There’s a theological depth and weight to their conversation that I think is too often missing from books and studies. It may be a bit heady for some folks, but I love it.
- The videos are short enough to actually leave time for conversation, but they still pack in an incredible insight and thought provoking questions.
- They’ve got free discussion guides to go along with the videos. Who doesn’t love free?
- Price: the videos are cheap. It’s only $3.99 per download or $14.99 per 3-4 video DVD.
- Some people prefer the conversational format to a talking head, but I think it left the videos fairly unstructured. I think some folks might get a bit lost if they’re totally unfamiliar with the topic.
- The delivery was somewhat dry and could have been more engaging.
All in all, I enjoyed the video. I think it will really make members think and spark great discussion. I’d recommend this study for groups whose members are eager to learn or need to be pushed, stretched, and challenged. The more engaged your group members, the more likely I would be to recommend it. I suggest that you as the leader take a look at one or two of these videos and if your group is at the right place to benefit from them.
If you’re interested in checking out one of the videos, you can download them at the Convergence Store. The first 25 people who use the promo code “Johnston” will get their first episode free.
I’d encourage you to visit Dr. Bill Donahue’s blog on Friday when he’ll be reviewing another episode, “Personal Growth: Learning to meet the demands of life.” Dr. Donahue is an author, speaker, and consultant who formerly worked with small groups at Willow Creek. He’s full of wisdom on leadership and group life.
Frustration and False Gods Trailer
FTC Disclosure: I was given a free copy of Frustration and False Gods in order to do this review/blog tour.